Dual Credit

Dual Credit
Dual credit lets MHS students enroll in college courses prior to high school graduation.  College credits earned through dual credit can be applied toward both high school and college graduation and can be transferred to other colleges or universities.  Dual credit eases the transition to college by giving students firsthand exposure to college-level work while earning high school and college credit simultaneously.  Classes may be taught at the MHS campus, the university campus, or online.  

Dual credit courses on the MHS campus are offered in partnership with the University of Idaho.  MHS students can also take dual credit courses online through Lewis-Clark State College, Idaho State University, Boise State University, Northwest Nazarene, the College of Western Idaho, and the College of Southern Idaho.

Step 1: Admissions (Begin here if you have never been enrolled in a dual credit course.)
This can be done at home.
Apply for Admissions.  All new dual credit students need to apply for admissions for the specific term in which they are taking the dual credit course (e.g. Fall 2019 or Spring 2020).
-Use your legal birth name
-Use a personal email address (not your school email address) that you check frequently.
-Enter your anticipated graduation date.

After you apply:
-Confirm that you applied for the correct term.
-Confirm that the status says "Applied."
-Check your email for an auto-generated message and follow the instructions.
-Wait 3-5 business days for another email stating that your application is complete.  This email will also contain your Vandal ID number (V#).  You will need to write your V# on your course registration form.  If you need help obtaining your V#, call (208) 885-6326 for help.
-At this point, you will also be able to set up your UI account called the NetID.  This is the account that you will use for VandalWeb, Vandal E-Mail, Microsoft Office 360, and to access UI computers.

Step 2: Funding (Begin here if you have already been enrolled in a dual credit course before.)
This is done through the MHS Counseling Office.
Advanced Opportunities gives MHS students an allotment of $4,125 to use toward the cost of overload courses, dual credits, and exams.  Advanced Opportunities credits must be school approved in the portal before the Dual Credit Office can enroll students.  Students (not parents) need to create their own accounts.  Teachers generally take their dual credit classes to the Counseling office to register for Advanced Opportunities toward the beginning of each semester.

Step 3: Course Registration
After you have applied for admissions and funding, turn in your entire completed packet to Kayce Gregory in the Counseling office.  
-Complete your form legibly with black or blue ink.
-Make sure your Vandal ID number (V#) is listed on the registration form.
-All signatures (student, parent, teacher, counselor) should be present.
-Also include the extra pink form if you are 16 or under, or if you are a freshman or sophomore, or if you are taking Dual Credit for foreign language or history.

Add/Drop Dates

MHS deadline to submit for Dual Credit Friday, September 20, 2019
U of I deadline to drop Dual Credit course (and receive refund) Friday, October 11, 2019
U of I deadline to withdraw from a course (and receive no refund) Friday, December 6, 2019